Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 13
1 and 2 are pretty simple.
4-9 will limit your possibilities quite a bit. I think Charleston is probably your best bet. A good marina will have a named storm policy that may include hauling and storing the boat ashore or setting up extra docklines, etc, either as a condition of having a slip contract or for a small additional fee.
Originally Posted by FritzN
I've a signed purchase agreement on a Valiant 42, located at the Valiant factory on Lake Texoma in Texas. I was there for the survey on Friday of last week, and did the sea trial on Saturday. There are a few issues to resolve, but the purchase will probably happen. Since the boat is located at the factory, I'm having some upgrades, replacements and service done by them before I ship her to the east coast.
All of my sailing has been on the west coast, but I'd like to get a slip on the east coast for at least six months a year. Here are my ideal criteria:
1) Reasonably low hurricane exposure.
2) Nice marina amenities (floating docks, good depth under docks at low tide, nice showers, gas & pump-out dock, swimming pool or easy access to a beach, etc.)
3) A marina associated with a nice hotel would be preferred, but not essential.
4) Competent repair yard either in the complex or near by.
5) Easy access to super market, marine supply store, restaurants, etc.
6) Not far off the ICW.
7) No farther north than North Carolina. No farther south than northern Florida.
8) No terrible bug problem. (However, all hatches and ports will be screened.)
9) Within a couple hours drive to an airport.
I'm sure that there are other important criteria that I've overlooked.
The boat has air conditioning with an AC generator, so I'm not too concerned about heat when at the dock, or at night on a mooring or at anchor.
I've already visited Charleston (SC), Beaufort (NC) and New Bern (NC). I would prefer Charleston, but I don't know how it measures up to the above criteria -- especially 1).
I'm aware that all of the above areas have some hurricane exposure, but I suppose some areas have less risk than others.
I probably won't have to make a decision until the end of September, at the earliest.
I really look forward to your recommendations and comments.
Thanks in advance,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)
If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.