SailNet Community - View Single Post - Goofy, fun additions? (plus questions on flag etiquette, ratlines)
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
But the original quedstion was about etiquette and the pirate flag, and proper etiquette for a pirate is "Whatever I damned well want it to be!"

Isn't it?
Absolutely and that's it in a nut shell, it is your personal POV

My POV is some what different in that I think some, and I might even go as far as say few, take it all that seriously.

We have Sailing Clubs & Sailing Associations and Maritime Museums all putting on festivals all the time with Pirates themes; The Festival of Sails just ended here in SD, had some 20 Tall ships from all over the place here for 5 days, the theme of the Festival was ??? Pirates, a few of them will go to DP, then over to cat Island, the theme ??? priates

I quarantee ya, they and the 10's of thousands that participated in the festival are not out to glorify rape, plumder & murder, they are out to have fun and enjoy the sailing with their friends and family

So to the question of flying a pirate flag , fly it where ever you choose, to the question of etiquette, don't fly it above the Stars & Stripes when on the same staff or halyard

That's from another point of veiw of course

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 08-26-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook