SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for advice on New England cruise in August
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
- Thanks to everyone who helped rein in my earlier ambitions about covering much more ground than we did. We only made it a 5 day trip and it felt like the right amount of sailing for that.
Glad to help.

Quote:
- I am still a little tentative about anchoring in less than ideal conditions. I have a 18# danforth, 15' of chain and 100' of rode. The boat is 6700 lbs dry weight, 4 foot draft. I've never dragged but haven't tested it in any difficult conditions. Should I consider upgrading ground tackle and if so, to what?
A Danforth makes a nice lunch hook, but for a boat your size, you want something a bit more substantial if you're anchoring out overnight. I'd highly recommend you look at a next gen anchor, like the Rocna, Spade, Manson Supreme or Buegel.

I use a Rocna 15 (33 lbs) on my boat as the primary, and it sets such that I generally don't worry about it. You could probably get away with the Manson Supreme or Rocna 10 (22 lbs). for your boat. I'd also recommend going up to at least 30' of chain.

I'd also recommend going up to about 150' of rope (and the 30' of chain) as well...since, if you're cruising, you may have to anchor in a deeper spot once in a while and in storm conditions, 100' of rope with 15' of chain is only good for about 9' of water at 10:1 scope. 180' of rode will let you anchor in 16' of water or so at 10:1 scope.

Quote:
- I really need a genoa and a depthsounder. I may spring for a roller furling setup and genny next year.
The roller furling setup makes dealing with the genny much simpler. A depthsounder would be a good investment, since it can also help with navigation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook