SailNet Community - View Single Post - avoiding a knock down when doing a u-turn
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
As always, thanks for the info.

I have not had the boat round up or broach yet. I have always had good rudder control. Acording to the PO, my boats original rudder and tiller was lost by the careless owner before him (21 yr old kid who had inherited the boat and never sailed it, but managed to lose the rudder some how). The new rudder seems to be home made and is fairly large. Maybe 3 feet deep and 11" wide. The only time it hasn't controlled the boat is when the boat is stopped due to no wind at all (I learned already that if there is no wind, it's no fun - kind of like being on a motor boat with no gas. I don't really like to paddle a 600 lbs boat that much. - oh and as soon as you drop the sails to paddle home, the wind seems to pickup, just long enough for you to get the sails back up, then it's gone again).

In any event, I am having a blast learning to tame this thing. I think one more summer and I will be looking for something bigger.

If I can think of any more questions, I will ask.

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook