SailNet Community - View Single Post - Atomic 4 troubleshooting an odd problem?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
If the tank is new, then it could be stratified fuel. The new ethanol gasoline has a shelf life of approximately two months, and then it begins to "separate" in tiers. I'm not an expert on this, but I've been investigating a similar problem on my A-4, and read some helpful articles in Boat U.S. about the ethanol problem. Fuel stabilizer helps, as it extends the life of your fuel to a full year. This is important for sailboat owners, as we often just use a gallon or two at a time. Old fuel that has no stabilizer additive will begin to degrade much soon. I know I'm not explaining this all that well, as I'm in a hurry, but I think you can get my drift... If you refill after every sail in order to lessen the effects of condensation, then you are barely dilluting the fuel in the tank. A motorboat, on the other hand, can blast through 3/4 of a tank in a single afternoon, and then refill with new fuel. Stale ethanol fuel can lead to varnish build up, and it can also lead to symptoms similar to what you're experiencing.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook