SailNet Community - View Single Post - the time is now. =) Buying to a price point. =(
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
the time is now. =) Buying to a price point. =(

The goal: financable boat. able to pay it off in 5 years or less. 600 a month or less.

The location: SF bay.

The current task. Liveaboard and bay sailing.

The goal. When paid off to take off indefinatley, starting with a down the coast trip, and then going where the wind takes me (as finances allow)

Any and all advice wanted.

1.) boat.
must have shower. decent galley, sail well (point well) prefer tiller to wheel. must be reletivley inexpensive, and robust.

Right now the only that fits my specs that I''ve found is a Tartan 30, starboard galley.

2.) financing?
I''ve been told I can finance older used boats? is this true? Who should I talk to? (I''m debt free and have a 750 FICO =)

3.) getting started living aboard
I presume most of the ins and outs will become self explanitory, but any hints and tips that would have saved you grief had you known it before you started, would be apreciated.

Thanks.

(and yes, I know this should be 300 diffrent threads, and that some of my questions have been answered before, but I belive in this context, the existance of other questions here dramaticly influence the answers to the others. I may be wrong, in which case I appologize for creating too much traffic on this already overly busy board )

Thanks very much, and I look forward to seeing you on the water, in a real honest to God big boat.

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook