SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel bolt issue
Thread: Keel bolt issue
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003

roddandcara is on a distinguished road
Keel bolt issue

Catalina has an unadvertised program for replacing keels. Call them and get the details. Last I knew you had to remove the old keel, make a template of the old bolt pattern and ship the old keel back to the factory for a swap out on a new keel with your bolt pattern. When I checked this out three years ago (for my C-30) the price was around ten cents a pound with exchange of a lead keel. I would imagine they would not want your cast iron keel back so you could just send them the template and buy a new lead keel. The prices are very reasonable.....The other alternative is to do nothing and beleive it or not it may be the best alternative. I''ve been on boats where the nuts are similar in shape to a mushroom cap and the keels are still hangin in there. The early keels were bedded with a product similar to 5200 when the boat yard re-fastened my keel they took all the nust off and the keel was still hanging there. They had to use a sawzall to remove it. It finally came free when only two inches of bedding were holding it and then the fiberglass gave way not the bedding compound. My vote is to leave it alone or you''ll spend more money than it''s worth and never recoup your investment....
R.C.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook