SailNet Community - View Single Post - Quickstep 24 and Other Boats
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Blue, I was interested in the Quickstep some years back and really never read about any outstanding problems. It's a Ted Brewer design with a modified fin with skeg hung rudder with a displacement of around 4k lbs. With a cockpit of 7', I think it is considered more of a daysailor/overnighter than a pocket cruiser. Although the cabin is pretty small with minimal headroom, it does have room for a porti-pottie between the 'v' berth and space for a portable stove.

I must have hit the erase button on who built the earlier models(although a respected builder IIRC) and I think they have been revived by another. (Hinkley? ) Anyway, I came away with the impression that it's a good boat...just not enough room for me in the cabin.

The Quickstep would be a great boat for Tampa Bay, but for the money I think I like your second choice better. The Catalina 25 (I like the wing keel version) has more living space...Much, Much more than the QS. The head room in the C-25 is more and the head compartment is separate from the living area (women like that kind of stuff). I've also read that the wing keeled version will point closer to the wind than the swing keel. You can't beat the shoal draft of the swing keel for the TB shallows though. This boat buying is nothing but trade-offs, trade-offs and more trade-offs! Good luck in your search.

BTW, check out YachtWorld.com, there are two QS listed.

Bob

And yeah, what John said...must learn to type faster!; )

Last edited by fullkeel7; 08-28-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Add-on
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook