SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Advice on buying a used boat
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Boats

Hello,

You have lots and lots of boats to pick from. Manufacturers include the boats you mentioned plus Newport, Tartan, Sabre, S2, C&C, Ericsson, Beneteau, Jeanneau, and a few others.

Just about any basic coastal - cruiser would be OK.

Some things to think bout including your primary use. For just daysailing, smaller is better. For overnight trips, bigger is better. Think about features you want, like tiller vs wheel, inboard engine vs outboard engine, real marine head vs porta potty, etc.

How did you come with 1985 as your oldest boat? For a boat like a Catalina 30, there isn't much difference between 1980 and 1990. There are 1980 boats in much better condition than 1990 because they have things like new sails, new interior cushions, etc.

Anyway, my first 'big' boat was a 1986 Newport 28. I bought it because it was the smallest boat that my family of 5 could overnight on, and had the big boat features I wanted, like wheel steering, self tailing winches, cabin top traveler, marine galley, marine head, pressure hot and cold water, etc.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook