SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bareboat Chartering to Corsica
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
It has been some time since I cruised those waters, so my info may be dated. But the west coast of Corsica was particularly rugged, remote and beautiful to explore by boat. There are loads of remote craggy coves and calanques to tuck into, interspersed with the occasional cities and larger towns for replenishment. Calvi is very pretty, as is Bonifacio -- both are well worth a visit. Ajjacio is a bit more commercial feeling, although it's historic as the birthplace of Napolean Bonaparte. Also, from Ajjacio you can take a train inland to explore the mountainous interior.

We generally had a fair bit of wind and fetch from the West, which can make for challenging but fun sailing around the headlands.

Crossing from mainland France can be another story, and I wonder if a charter company would let you do that? If you leave from the right spot, it's only about 100 n.m., so it makes for a nice overnighter. But watch your weather window carefully. On our crossing, we got thumped by a Force 8/9 Mistral that generated the severest seastate conditions I've ever experienced. And we were in a much heavier design than the typical charter boat. Even if the weather's fair, the Ligurian Sea is a very busy patch of water -- keep a careful watch for ships and ferries.

Good luck to you!

Edit: P.S. If you only have a week, consider chartering in Corsica and skipping the crossing from France.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 08-29-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook