SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 12-07-2003
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 172
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 17
Transducer suspended in vegie oil. square to the bottom

The type of transducer you are speaking of is called an "in-hull" as opposed to a "thru-hull". The in-hull transducers can be purchased for around $70 at West Marine for one. They come with a suitable mount ready to epoxy/glue to the hull.

If you need a transducer that is probably the best way to go. If you already have a transducer, and just want to mount it, you can make a suitable mount/container out of PVC pipe.

One thing to be aware of is if your hull is cored in the area you wish to mount the transducer, you must cut out the core material so the transducer is "looking" through a solid laminate material.

Mineral oil is the usual liquid used to couple the transducer signals to the hull.


joub is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome