SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Selector: Run with ALL or 1 or 2??
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
Battery Selector: Run with ALL or 1 or 2??

Well I just replaced my 28 year old alternator (on a 1980 Volvo MD7A) which has an internal regulator ... $360 bucks! All seems to be well, getting 14.4 volts at the battery when running at moderate RPMS. I want to be sure I don't fry this one.

I've never had a functioning alternator on a boat, and here is my setup: battery 1 is an engine starting battery, battery 2 is a higher-rated "house" battery. Both are 12v. My battery switch (also from 1980) is supposed to be a "make before break" type switch, but I have noticed sometimes when switching from bat 1 to 2 my electronics turn off. Hmm. And I have tested the alternator output, and only the battery selected by the battery switch receives a charge when the engine is running.

So my question is, how should I set the battery switch on my boat when starting and running the engine?? Should I trust my battery selector and switch between batteries while running? Would having it on "ALL" for starting/running be OK even if my 2 batteries are at different charge levels?

Thanks. My boat is a 1980 S2 9.2A.

Last edited by FishFinder; 08-30-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook