SailNet Community - View Single Post - Work on the stuffing box while the boat is in the water
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
Work on the stuffing box while the boat is in the water

Here''s my problem. I hope you guys can help. I have my 34'' Yorktown in a marina slip. I have the engine sitting in the main salon while I install a new aft fuel tank. I have had to remove a considerable amount of gear to get to this point. Being I had the engine out I have completely rebuilt the cockpit floor and tidied up the engine compartment. I decided to check the condition of the clamps on the stuffing box and put the screwdriver to them. I found only one clamp holding on the aft side of the stuffing box. In other words, the stuffing box is not installed far enough up the tube the prop shaft goes through to allow both clamps to hold. I need to loosen the one clamp and move the hose aft about 1/2". Of course, when I loosen the one clamp, that is holding, the ocean tries to get into my bilge. Any ideas, barring trying to find a sand bar to put up on or a haul out, to fix my problem. Thanks, Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook