SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bareboat Chartering to Corsica
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 08-30-2008
crossing to Corsica?

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Crossing from mainland France can be another story, and I wonder if a charter company would let you do that? If you leave from the right spot, it's only about 100 n.m., so it makes for a nice overnighter. But watch your weather window carefully. On our crossing, we got thumped by a Force 8/9 Mistral that generated the severest seastate conditions I've ever experienced. And we were in a much heavier design than the typical charter boat. Even if the weather's fair, the Ligurian Sea is a very busy patch of water -- keep a careful watch for ships and ferries.

Good luck to you!

Edit: P.S. If you only have a week, consider chartering in Corsica and skipping the crossing from France.
It certainly IS possible to charter in one of the Mediterranean ports and cross to Corsica. But I heartily agree with John's last recommendation. I have never done it, but friends who have crossed from the Cote d'Azur have been hammered going or returning. It is a long crossing and the weather can be violent.

We chartered out of Ajaccio and visited the west coast as far north as Calvi. I have visited Bonifaccio on a crossing from Sardinia. Bonifaccio is a
one-of-a kind port.

Another option is to charter in Sardinia and cross to Corsica. Porto Rotondo is very well developed for chartering, and northern Sardinia makes for great cruising.

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome