SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heading South from NY to Bahamas
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I would echo others commenting about hurricane season! I sail the central Chesapeake Bay and would add that almost ALL the hurricanes we have experienced have happened in September! That said, the best time to sail in the Chesapeake is October. We have 4000+ miles of shoreline with so many coves and anchorages you could spend a lifetime sailing here (I have and will continue to explore and learn). Places to avoid and not to miss include: Don't Miss Annapolis, Baltimore Inner Harbor, RockHall, St Michaels, West River/Galesville, Solomon’s Island, Tangier Island, Deltaville, Mobjack Bay to name some of the Don't miss places. Some of the AVOID include Annapolis during the 2 weeks of Sailboat/Powerboat shows, Most of South River (too many big powerboats), Kent Narrows (shoaling requires local knowledge).

An important tool for your planning is a new item on the net:>>
http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/ this is a link to a set of NOAA charts that are overlaid on googlemaps page! It is great for planning any trip. (I read this in current 9/08 Sail Magazine).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook