SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan 34
Thread: Tartan 34
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road
Tartan 34

Well, it looks like the time may be fast approaching to buy our cruiser; that is, we will probably be cashing in our house and cars in about 6 months. We hope to have, and to live on, our cruiser at that time. We expect to leave no possessions ashore, and so what we will take with us is all that we will have; our pots, pans, and china, musical instruments, art supplies, books, and clothes for both work and leisure in hot and cold climates.

While I have been looking pretty much for a 40- to 45-footer, it now looks as though a smaller boat may be more reasonable for several reasons, chiefly economic. And I''d like to stay below $50K, preferably under $30K.

I''ve been looking at the Tartan 34s on Yachtworld because of the K/CB, which I hope will give a good comromise of allowing more anchoring choices while keeping sailing (esp. pointing) ability, and because I have been reading on this board that Tartans are fairly sturdy, well-made boats.

My questions really are: Is this a good boat for cruising? Is it sturdy and seakindly enough for years of passagemaking in all weather conditions? And is it heavy enough to carry enough cargo, fuel and water to allow the two of us to stay out for long periods of time (even without the musical instruments)?

Thanks,
Chas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook