SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interior Fiberglass bumpy like LARGE cottage Cheese
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008

wesramm is on a distinguished road
Interior Fiberglass bumpy like LARGE cottage Cheese

Large cottage cheese. You'll have to forgive me, as that's about the only way I can describe it......

I have an old Cal 21 that I am refitting. Some of you may have seen some of the posts I have put up here in the past two weeks.

Anyway,

The interior is a MESS. Among the things I need to do is to remove the house paint that the previous owner painted the interior with after sanding, but NOT removing the dust. Every square inch of paint in the interior is flaking. Falling off in BIG chunks. This is one problem.

However, as I looked at the interior of the bow, I noticed that the fiberglass is not smooth. The size of the 'bumps' and the unevenness of the surface are on the order of 1/2 inch. The exterior in that section looks perfect, but the interior looks like the boat manufacturer didn't 'finish' the boat in that area. It's really strange. The rest of the interior is as 'flat' as you'd expect it, but up in front, the interior fiberglass has big bumps that look like the fiberglass layup in that area was done as an afterthought by someone with no experience.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,

Wes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook