SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan 34
Thread: Tartan 34
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Tartan 34

Flicker - Re: centerboards
If shallow draft is essential, I consider a centerboard is a reasonable alternative - you just trade some stiffness, upwind capablity and extra moving parts for the benefit of the shallow draft. I''ve never owned a centerboard boat, but came very close to a special circumstance purchase of a Bristol 35.5 centerboard, and would consider one again. You might take the question about ctb. problems to the Pearson/Tartan owner groups. I don''t think Cal made any ctb.s - my mistake.
Another question is how shallow is necessary - a Tartan 34C draws 4''6" while a Cal 34 standard keel draws 5''. How necessary is that 6"?

H37skipper - Re: "seakindly, offshore capable, roomy, and fast possible?"
I would venture yes and offer my CS 36T as an example. The 36T sails well to a 123 PHRF rating (less so in light air) and the PO of our boat made two trips to Latin America for which he reported the boat very satisfactory, with no gear problems, other than blowing all three reefs in the main. The question of roomy is a different matter, probably more of a state of mind - to me roomy suggests a Little Harbor 73...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook