SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does anyone know anyone that sails in Channel Islands, Ca?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008

Michael1 is on a distinguished road
I was in the same boat as you (no pun intended). It's really expensive to get a boat, maintain it, and keep it in a slip. Then I ran across an all volunteer sailing club called Fairwind Yacht Club. They've been around for over 40 years in Marina del Rey, but recently started up a branch at Channel Islands Harbor. They have boats from 14 to 40 feet. Since it is all volunteer, non-profit and non-commercial, the dues are very inexpensive. The only requirement is that you have some sailing experience, and be willing to volunteer some time, usually a day a month (although part of that day we usually sail ). I joined last March and have been out on the water almost every weekend since. I've had a fantastic spring and summer of sailing, including an overnight cruise to Santa Cruz Island. They have an open house the third Sunday of each month at Peninsula Park on Peninsula Rd. in Channel Islands if you want to check it out, and get out on the water that day. I'd confirm the exact date on their website, which you can Google "Fairwind Yacht Club" to get (can't post links here yet), because sometimes the date changes.

Hope to see you out on the water!

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 09-01-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook