SailNet Community - View Single Post - cape horn
Thread: cape horn
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003

ocean_lady2003 is on a distinguished road
cape horn

Sorry, forgot the official number of the sailing directions but it was one of the south America ones. Every nautical book shop can tell you mainly straight away.
Didn''t read a book about what the yacht should be able to take. Guess every seegoing yacht can do it. Have a close look at your rigging so it holds the pressure. If you see something and you just think about replacing, it do it. Have some bad experiance with just a little bit a rust on a bottle screw. If your steering gear runs cables, check them as well. Even they like to snap in havy weather, specially if you''re caught in something like 50 knots of wind and 30 foot sea trying to stay clear of land. Don''t forget to have a look at your sails - not the genua, the storm sails which haven''t been out of the bag for a coupple of years.
Appart from that, I think it''s more a question of are we sailors able to make it not the boat.
I am sailing a 28 ft Twin Sole, build in full steel in Holland some times 25 years ago.
Let me know when ar you planning to go. I am leaving some time in September 04 from the Med.

Dieter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook