SailNet Community - View Single Post - 400 List/Owners
Thread: 400 List/Owners
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygleason View Post
I have a Catalina 400 MkII #387 and would like to add a lifting davit for my outboard and a group 24 starting battery. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to install the davit? Also, does anyone know where the factory installs the starting battery on the MkII model? Thanks.
Gary,

I have seen the davits installed on the stern rail - port or stbd. You might consider geting dinghy davits to lift the whole dink out of the water. I used Kato and have been very impressed. I lift my entire tender, motor and all, out of the water with them.

The battery, per factory, is installed in the storage space under the floorboard in the galley which causes a loss of much of that space. I did not like that and intead installed mine in the stbd lazarette. In essense, I put all of my house bank on Batt switch one and put the start on bat switch two. The benefit of this is that you can easily parallel your batts, can use the start for lighting or the house for starting or both, and the switch-over is very easy. The negative is that if you forget to switch off the start batt, you run the risk of pulling it down with the others. The truth is that since you should always run your batts in parallel (esp with a seperate start batt), it seems unlikely you will ever use the start batt or pull it into the system except in a emergency.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

- CD

PS I used a seperate charger and OPTIMA batt for start so that it did not have to be serviced and could lay on its side if neccessary.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
lbbsd (06-25-2014)