SailNet Community - View Single Post - 400 List/Owners
Thread: 400 List/Owners
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by therobesons View Post
I understand the Mk 2 came out in 1999 with a 56hp engine among other changes.

Did the 42hp engine of the std version work OK? How fast will she motor?

With the the 56 hp in the Mk 2 how fast will she motor? I here the 56 hp engine is nosiy was the 42 as well?

I do want good cruising speed, I want to troll for fish and need 5-8 kts while motoring.

I am also looking and either a feathering or folding prop. Any suggestions?

I had the folding prop on my 36 and really liked it for both sail and powering forward, and it backed up OK for me.

I will have many more guestions, I hope you do not mind.

Bob
The 56 motors the 400 along nicely. This may be very beneficial in an opposing tide/weather. I easily run at 7-7.2 at cruise. I doubt you will get 8 unless you are in a current helping you along as I think that exceeds hull speed.

I do not be,lieve the 56 is any more noisy than any other sailboat engine I have been on and actually less than the 380 we had. She runs smooth and is "relatively" quiet down below. However, you will never be wondering whether or not your negine is running! It is a sailboat and with the exception of two high-end boats that I have been on, they all have engine noise.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook