SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter Sailboat Quality?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008

MikeAR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Mike...welcome. The 20 is a decent boat to learn on but carefully check the keel centerboard trunk for leaks and the winch for proper operation. This seems to be a real problem spot on these boats but it is not a big deal to fix.
Hi!
Thanks for the welcome and the information. I attempted to email several owners. Several links were dead. One responded and he mentioned basically the same thing. He loved his boat but moved on.
The one we examined, it was a different story.
It was leaking in that area, with several inches of water in it. I have to say it wasn't a good inspection.
The boat had apparently reached a point of equilibrium before the owner and I got onto it. Then you could hear more water coming in there, near where a pin is located. The winch, rather than cable, had a fat (nearly 3/4inch thick) cord on it.
He wasn't troubled, and made the point more than once that the boat didn't have a bilge installed. (There was a hand-operated bilge pump there). There was also water drizzling down the hull on the inside, under the sink (I'm not sure of its source because that water was drizzling down from higher than the water level outside the hull and there was no rain). Inside, there was a black stain where water had entered the interior, as the hull/deck joint.
Maybe I'm making a mountain of a mole hill but the list continued:
Corrosion on the base of the mast where it met the stainless steel plate and pop rivets backing out there; cracks in the deck at lifeline posts and out of alignment shroud connections (he did say the boat had gone through a knockdown while his brother sailed it); chunks of gelcoat missing from the deck with fiberglass matting that's been long exposed to the elements. I could go on.
I knew it wasn't a new boat - 1984, but the condition was troubling. He professed that the outboard would run, but wouldn't start it, nor was he willing to take it out with us aboard. He did say he bought it and found out he didn't like sailing, though his son uses it some.
I figure we'll keep on looking.
What we're looking for is a trailer sailor that can be pulled by our Ranger. We live in central Arkansas and have a bunch of lakes available to sail. It would be just us, and two small dogs. We plan on some overnights on the boat. We'll find our boat.

Last edited by MikeAR; 09-02-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook