SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alajuela 38
Thread: Alajuela 38
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply John.

No - have not sold the Westsail and probably will not, but I'm intrigued by the Alajuela 38. I have heard from other people that the interior space is about the same as the W32 and that the A38 is basically a more refined W32. Indeed the A38 looks exactly like the W32 from the side and has almost the same beam. A friend here has an A33 and the interior is very well done....and the hull/deck joint on the Alajuela boats is the best in my opinion.

We might take a year off and cruise with the kids (5, 8 & 10) so we will be cramped and I'm drawn to the Atkins designs....but you have confirmed that the interior space is about the same as our boat.
I'm a sucker for the lines though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
GBurton,

The factory-finished Alejuela 38s are said to be nice quality boats. I've never sailed aboard one, but there are two of them at our marina, so I get to oggle them closely. There was a lot of nice custom wood and metalwork on the boats that distinguished them from run-of-the-mill production boats. They were considered many steps higher than say, Westsail, in terms of refinement and quality.

The A38 is a variation of William Atkin's Ingrid ketch. In fact, it's my understanding that it was an unauthorized variation, i.e. the design was essentially stolen and re-configured as a cutter rather than a Ketch, with no royalties paid to the designer's heirs. This legal sticking point may have contributed in part to the company's demise -- they went under in the late 70's or early 80's along with many other So.Cal. builders.

As much as I like the double-ender looks, and admire William Atkin designs, the standard interior does not appeal to me much. To my eye, with the standard configuration, it is a 38' boat without a lot of interior space. Your Westsail 32 (another Atkin design) is nearly as voluminous, but in a much more compact package. However, I have seen a few interiors that had better configurations -- with aft cabins or quarterberths. Of course, interior configuration is often a matter of personal preference.

They were solidly built boats. But, like your Westsail, they were polyester resin boats, so would have to be inspected for blistering (I have no specific knowledge about blistering problems, though).

Don't tell us you've already sold that Westsail?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook