SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alajuela 38
Thread: Alajuela 38
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
We might take a year off and cruise with the kids (5, 8 & 10) so we will be cramped and I'm drawn to the Atkins designs....but you have confirmed that the interior space is about the same as our boat.
I'm a sucker for the lines though!
GB,

I'm drawn to the Atkin designs as well. But I also have three kids in about the same range as you, and wouldn't choose the Alajuela 38 for an extended cruise. It would make a great couple's boat -- a Westsail 32 on steroids -- but it does not lend itself very well to reconfiguration for a family of five. The narrow beam coupled with the double-ended hull makes it tight on volume for its LOD.

Since you like the Atkin designs -- have you checked out the Cape George Cutters? They are derived from various traditional-sterned Atkin designs like Tally Ho and Tally Ho Major (rather than the double-ended designs such as Eric/Thistle/Ingrid that Westsail and Alajuela used). They have fuller hindquarters, longer waterlines, and generally are more powerful sailboats. Though not necessarily more voluminous, the volume is more useable in my opnion (i.e. it's not all concentrated at the main salon of the boat).

They sell their boat to any stage of completion or in kits:

Cape George Marineworks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-02-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook