SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
This is a list, nothing more, nothing less! I am sure the person that put the list together had some sort of criteria that made all the boats on the list have. As such, the boats NOT on the list did not meet said criteria.

As mentioned, the Rairds out of Anacortes Wa, spent 2 yrs from here in the NW to Austrailia and back aboard a Jeanneau 49iP. Some other boats as i recall thru the yrs that went around, include Catalina 27 or two. Robin Lee Graham got 3/4 of the way around with a Luder 24, a basic 1/4 ton style boat. Somoa'n folks were traveling around the south seas in proa canoes, NW indians in Cedar dug out canoes catching whales upwards of 100 miles off the coast of Wa..............I am sure we can find other examples of boats that went offshore etc and survived for many reasons.

This list is no better than the "Best boats in the world" vol 1 and 2 by Frec Mate. He admits, it is his list, what "HE" thought made those boats be BEST! I am sure some on here would not put Beneteaus as were listed in Vol 1, but he liked how they as a production builder were doing things, and listed accordingly. Was it wrong to put on the list? Don't ask me! But in reality he should have listed some of the production builders there were on the cutting edge of that type of boat building along with the one off to semit custom builders etc.

Take this list, see what is in common, and if another boat that is not listed, is similar, has most of the attributes of the ones listed, fix, add or otherwise the missing link, and enjoy you choice of boat.

Marty