SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Northbay:
Boat Model - Gulfstar Sailboats
Boat Model - Gulfstar Sailboats
Have lots of detail on problems incurred with these boats.
My friend had to replace his water tank which was a big job.

Marty...I actually disagree with you on this one a bit. While John Neal's reasons for not including a particular boat remain obscure...his criteria for selection are well spelled out on his website in terms of the things he finds important. He has 250k sea miles under his belt. 125 sail training blue water trips and is an acknowledged expert in the field. As such, his opinions count for a lot and I would reiterate...this list is NOT about whether a particular boat CAN make a trip across an ocean. It is about whether the boat is DESIGNED and BUILT to make MANY such trips while being as SAFE and COMFORTABLE vessel well suited to LIVING ABOARD.
It is hard to argue that any boats on his list do not meet this criterea. Thus it is a VERY good list to work from even though it is not comprehensive. It is not just some guys list and to my mind the weight of his CRUISING experience and knowledge of many boats makes it the best of any such lists I have found.
I do agree with you last statment though...since mine was left off his list!