SailNet Community - View Single Post - I have no idea how to find the right trailer for my boat!
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003

aflanigan is on a distinguished road
I have no idea how to find the right trailer for my boat!

Paul,

You have a good point. The best answer is going to depend on what he needs the trailer for. In my case I was able to buy a used powerboat trailer with rollers, replace a few rusted bolts, raised the crossbars as high as they would go using existing bolt holes, and it worked fine for my shallow draft centerboard boat. The brakes are not completely redone yet (the guy I bought it from was 3/4 of the way done with the job) but I don''t need them at this point since I''m not trailering the boat to launch it. I''m basically storing my boat on the trailer in my back yard, and in the spring I will drive it about 2 miles to the marina to put it back in its wet slip. For someone with a fixed keel who wants to trailer the boat regularly or long distances, a suitable used trailer might well nigh be impossible to find, and investing in a custom job might be the only way to go. Of course, some folks have welding equipment in their basement, and modifying a 5400 capacity trailer by adding screw pads might not be a very intimidating job for them. Hopefully, Nate will get enough ideas and sense of what''s involved from these postings to make the best choice for him.

Allen F.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook