SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cotter Pin
Thread: Cotter Pin
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsusailing View Post
Simple post and 13 really good responses, that what makes SN, and its members, special.
Halekai brought up a good point, it appears that most cotter rings I have seen are very thin and are not robust enough to handle the clevis pin hole. Never thought about it before but sizing is critical.
Sounds like if the cotter is off good quality, the right size, and inspected each time you sail, then it minimizes the chances of failure. Rings are easier to handle but it seems that regular pins are more robust.

Thanks for the info...........

John
s/v Daphne

Not too long ago, one of my customers lost his rig during a race.
It was determined that a cotter pin was lost, allowing one of the upper shrouds to detach itself from the chainplate.
There was some intimation that perhaps the cotter pin hadn't been opened enough. I was concerned because I was the last rigger to do any real work on the boat.
The thing was though, the boat was raced regularly and I had done the re-rig over 11 months prior to the accident.
I don't know how many people inspect their clevis pins and cotter pins everytime they sail but If you are racing, then you sure better check it once in a while. Heck, thats what all those deck monkeys should be doing as you motor out to the start.

BTW, If a pin had fallen out aloft, I probably would have replaced that rig at my expense. But there is no excuse for not inspecting one's chain plates and turnbuckles before racing.

I will reiterate. You can find circular pins as stout, (thick), as you would ever desire. Maybe not at your local WM. But like I said SailNet certainly can get you rings as strong as you want.
Check out the CSJ online catalog.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook