SailNet Community - View Single Post - How can you sleep at night?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus1457 View Post
Does the radar paint an image of a 3/4 submerged container? I understand that some 10,000 of them (yes!) are lost from container ships each year.
And I bet they drift well away from the shipping lanes.

If you collide with a ship there is at last a chance that someone on the ship notices, but with a container .... it's adios, baby
Do you think you have a chance in hell of spotting a submerged container at night at sea? Not a prayer. While keeping watch I've come within yards of hitting really dangerous stuff like trees and unlit buoys...never had a clue they were there. Watch is more about checking the radar, checking the horizon for lights and making sure everything is working right and is appropriate for the conditions.
While the numbers of containers lost each year varies it is certainly in the thousands. Thankfully most sink. Others wash ashore like our Frito container here on the outer banks which remained quite tasty! They are a risk day or night but thankfully we don't hear much about sinkings being rampant as there is just too much ocean and too few FLOATING containers at any point in time to be of much concern.
BTW...a good radar will paint a small can buoy so if a decent portion of the metal container is above water...you will see it on radar if not with your eyes.