SailNet Community - View Single Post - aluminum boats?
Thread: aluminum boats?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
aluminum boats?

Jbarros,

The below information is from the website -Mahina.com concerning aluminum hulls.

"Aluminum boats are generally lighter and faster than steel boats, have less impact resistance and may be more difficult to have repaired in remote shipyards. Painted aluminum boats often tend to develop paint blisters after four to five years of serious cruising, requiring an expensive repainting job if you want a perfectly fair and shiny hull. There are dozens of unpainted French aluminum boats cruising the world, and although you may not find their concrete-colored oxidized aluminum hulls attractive, they are strong and practical. Aluminum suffers from electrolysis more severely than steel; if you''re cruising on an aluminum boat you''ll need to be very careful when moored in electrically "hot" marinas. Quality aluminum builders include Kanter in Ontario and Topper Hermanson in Florida."

*** BTW, I wanted to apologize to you for a previously undeserved remark I made to you here on this board.I think it was on the "pirate" topic. I acted childishly and am sorry for my behavior.Fair winds!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook