SailNet Community - View Single Post - Right of way question
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
You were stand on vessel, and did not signal your intention (or at least didn't mention it if you did) to change course to the give way vessel, dude - while you report him report yourself.

Hal, you mention twice that Alec stated his intentions early, I fail to see how - he only changed course to avoid a collision (as he must do). He should have at least blown a horn - heck the j/24 might not even have seen him.

Stand on is just that, it implies that you WILL stand on, or at a minimum signal intentions to do otherwise PRIOR to changing course so that the burdened vessel does not in maneuvering to avoid you instead place themselves, and you in greater jeopardy.

Meeting head to head - horn signals:

Pass to port - 1 short blast,
pass to starboard, 2 short blasts.

Overtaking signals are different - port = 2 long 2 short, Starboard 2 long one short.

The fact that there are no signals for 'Crossing' as you were doing only strengthens the point that you were the stand on.

In similar situations, courtesy and thoughtfulness being my rule I would have signaled my intentions via horn signal and made way for him as he was perhaps less maneuverable and maybe racing.

Of course in the light air this month on the Bay I could have signaled by walking to the bow and pointing, and waiting for an acknowledgment (did that three times this past weekend).

Many times on our local river where we race there are sail boats out there that unintentionally get in the way of racers, not once has a friendly shouted "I'm racing, will you bear off" not been received with a smile and a wave as they bear off...even if they are the stand on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook