SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time galley cook
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
IMO great food adds so much to a cruise! The can of dinty moore wont ever happen on our boat unless its in a life raft

It's unclear as to what you intend to do on the cruise? Are you stopping over nights in anchorages or marina's? Are you sailing from NYC to NC non stop? All these factors would determine what I would plan to cook and choose.

I don't think for a 5 day cruise you need to cook much different than you would at home. That said, you want to have some quick easy meals to prepare if your unable to spend time in the galley. The precooked Bratwurst are a favorite, Croissants w Prosciutto & Cheese, etc.

Considering it will still be warm out, grilling & quick sautés/stir fry work well. You could prep allot at home. I often marinate things to help preserve them and add flavor. Trimming and peeling things at home first and packaging them properly before will save you allot of time, example carrots, salad greens, onions, garlic in olive oil, etc. Some quickies we love are grilled steak & onion over romaine with balsamic & blue cheese, grilled chix & pesto sandwiches, Reuben's, bla bla bla...

As we get into the fall I enjoy cooking a lot of one pot meals, Braises & Stews. They are such soulful dishes, they have so much flavor and can be inexpensive and taste like a million $$. (They will burn up propane/fuel though Curries are always good, canned coconut milk and some shrimp or chicken. They don't take as long as a pot roast We have been roasting a chicken in the oven for the past three Thanksgiving weekend cruises, helps keep the cabin above freezing (not this year, oven be broken)

Hope some of those tips help...

I think I need to write a good cookbook for sailors...and publishers here?

Whatever you decide, write a menu and pack the refer in reverse order, minus the everyday stuff like OJ, Butter, etc.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook