SailNet Community - View Single Post - Right of way question
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post

For you pontificators that didn't like my terms, tough tittie. Folks who race these boats understand ROW and the word rights in context with it's use with regards to sailboats. This ain't the friggin' admiralty or a primer for it. You can bet the J driver understood PERFECTLY well what he did, if he saw the Merit and his ass would've been DQ'd in a race if the flag was thrown. Christ I get tired of the same old people doing the same old nitpickin', on MULTIPLE FORUMS for f%^&*& no less! Give it rest or at least couch your terms.
Charlie I'm guessing that jab was thrown at me. I was NOT throwing that at you but rather at the subject line of the original post.

I'm sorry if you don't like my pontificating about proper terms. I've seen too many knuckle heads in sailboats think they have a god given "RIGHT OF WAY" and have caused accidents. Had one last night in the race between two J boats who know the rules and yet still tangled at the start. Yes most everyone who races calls it "I had rights", I do too but many are now accepting and using stand on/give way. In races mostly it's just STARBOARD! We were actually the stadn on vessel in the tangle being on stbd and the leward boat but we gave way well before the collision because the J skippers are cowboys!

The problem is with general cruising. I am trying with my posts to direct folks to open up their minds and direct them away from terms even the USCG deems not suitable. As I ALWAYS state the ultimate rule is to avoid collision..

Charlie you can call it ROW, privileged, or stand on because I know you actually know the COLREGS but the vast majority of boaters, even on this and other forums, don't or barely know a few of them and constantly hearing the term Right of Way carries with it, what I (& the USCG) consider, and have seen to be, a dangerous connotation. The USCG did not post those writings I referenced above for NO reason... Perhaps your beef should be with the USCG? As far as I know most on this board are cruisers and the vast majority of racers are over on SA.

With all this typing I don't even know if an inland lake in Mexico goes by the COLREGS so all this may be totally useless...

So yes, I will keep on the band wagon of stand on, give way and the #1 rule AVOID COLLISIONS. If you have issue with my pontificating so be it and we can always agree to disagree..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-04-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook