SailNet Community - View Single Post - I have no idea how to find the right trailer for my boat!
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003

DirtManly is on a distinguished road
I have no idea how to find the right trailer for my boat!

Hello Nate,
The draft on your boat is exactly the same as an O''day 25 with centerboard, Columbia 22 fixed keel and Seafarer 23 McCurdy and Rhodes fixed keel. It is also within an inch of the Catalina 25 swing keel. I think you could find a used trailer for one of these models. It will take some time to locate one, but it is possible. It is much easier to adjust a trailer thats a little bit to big than a trailer that''s a litte to small.
I have done this three times now. The last time i found a Coranodo 25 in relatively good shape, that had a good trailer under it. I bought it and immediately sold the boat for $1800.00, thus leaving me with $ 700.00 in the trailer. It was already set up for my desired 4'' draft so only minor adjustments were needed.
Whatever trailer you buy, make sure to check the bearing and repack them before going much of anywere with it.
Assuming it will need new wiring, a light kit from West Marine will cost you around $50.00 for a good one. The brakes will be around 2-3 hundred doing it your self and double that if you have it done.
That''s still a lot less expensive than Triad. Mind you I''m not knocking Triad, They make an excellent product, but they charge accordingly.
Good luck
Dirt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook