SailNet Community - View Single Post - basic help for a newbie
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003

thebrakes is on a distinguished road
basic help for a newbie

hi all! i just bought my very first sailboat this week, a san juan 21. sure is exciting. couple quick things:

-the very simple electrical system is comprised of a bus leading to cabin, anchor, and running lights, plus bilge pump (which doesnt exist) and aux1 and aux2. there is, however, no battery of any kind. can i just connect any 12V battery to this bus and make the devices work? it need not be deep-cycle, right? i plan to add an outboard later. this may sound dumb, but can you run an alternator to an outboard to charge your battery/batteries? i know you can, and almost always do, with an inboard.

-my stbd shroud is looser than paris hilton on spring break. there is virtually no thread left with which to tighten it down. if it is broken, how do i go about fixing it?

-is there another, possibly better forum where sailors swap info? every car i''ve ever owned has had several good forums online. i am having trouble finding quality sources for sailboats. maybe i am looking in the wrong places.

-is there an easy way to reinforce the fiberglass on the cabin top? the area around the mast gives way more than i like (i am 235lbs though...)

these are the main questions i have for the moment.

thanks so much!

Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook