SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvanginkel View Post
I too am wondering why C&C's don't make the list? I know of two that have done the vic maui race, an older 34 and a 37. I also have met a couple that cruised their C&C from the Pacific Northwest to New Zealand and back.
Anyone?
As a former owner of a C&C30 Mark I and a big fan of C&C's in general, I would agree they are best considered fast coastal cruisers. Back in my last boat hunt I looked at a C&C 35 mark II which was set up for offshore use and had just returned from Europe...and that model is one I would consider for offshore use. But I also looked at the 34 and 36 and 37 and considered them of marginal construction and design for even coastal use. With a builder like C&C who made a wide range of boats over 20 something years, you have wide variances in the concepts and quality of specific models. In my opinion, they made their best boats in the early to mid '70s, folllowed by mostly average to mediocre models.