SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Catalina 22 back stay

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  northoceanbeach 
#1 ·
Hi, just bought a C22 and the system for the back stay is different. Is has adjustable tension with a line and cleat. In a v-shape attached on either side of the track for the boom on the transom. Also there is another wire split off that is attached to the back of the boom. My questions before I go sail:

1. Do I leave the wire attached to the boom while sailing and this gives more tension to the stay the more wind you get? Or do I remove it and the raised sail holds the boom up so I don't need the wire.

2. Where the 2 wires attach to the transom, the port one is a bit loose. However, if you look in the locker to try to see the bolt on the bottom, it is blocked and only with a mirror, can you barely see it, how do you work on it?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Hi, just bought a C22 and the system for the back stay is different. Is has adjustable tension with a line and cleat. In a v-shape attached on either side of the track for the boom on the transom. Also there is another wire split off that is attached to the back of the boom. My questions before I go sail:

1. Do I leave the wire attached to the boom while sailing and this gives more tension to the stay the more wind you get? Or do I remove it and the raised sail holds the boom up so I don't need the wire.
Umm...exactly how would the boom swing out to sail dead downwind if you left the pigtail attached... A little common sense goes a LONG way... ;) :D

2. Where the 2 wires attach to the transom, the port one is a bit loose. However, if you look in the locker to try to see the bolt on the bottom, it is blocked and only with a mirror, can you barely see it, how do you work on it?

Thanks.
If it is loose, you're going to have to get back there to tighten it up. Unfortunately, a lot of these types of things were done before the boat was fully built and make repairing them after the fact very difficult, since the access that was needed to do them in the first place no longer exists. How big is the locker, and can you fit in there and get access from inside the locker???

#5 ·
Umm...exactly how would the boom swing out to sail dead downwind if you left the pigtail attached... A little common sense goes a LONG way... ;) :D

If it is loose, you're going to have to get back there to tighten it up. Unfortunately, a lot of these types of things were done before the boat was fully built and make repairing them after the fact very difficult, since the access that was needed to do them in the first place no longer exists. How big is the locker, and can you fit in there and get access from inside the locker???
I know, I know it seems obvious, but I thought maybe that the further you had it sheeted out, the more pressure was on the sail and the the tighter it would pull down on the pigtail keeping the mast upright....But I guess it just holds the boom up at dock. WHat do I know. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.