SailNet Community - View Single Post - Todays new boat copmarable to C&C Landfall 38 or CS36?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
If looking at the question from an equal fit and finish, then this here Jeanneau owner would agree with it from that prospective!

If looking at it from an generally affordable $$$ wise for the ave person perspective, a boat on one end that is raced and cruised, to a boat that is more cruised, then frankly, the B36.7 with NA Championship 1D races in the great lakes the last two yrs with 50-60 boats attending, a win or two on some of the longer Ocean races, along with folks cruising there boats, along with the how well those "owners" LIKE there boats, I think you would find this group just as staunch about there boats as the older C&C and CS built boats.

In todays stance equal to a CS, the 36 in particular, Tartan 37 and its variations would fall into that catagory. hanse to me would too, but being as it is European built, the "how" they are built will be equal, but because that solid wood is harder to come by, you see more plywood veneer used for finish work etc. Then comes the, "which of these" methods is higher quality etc. Again, it comes from the owners prospective. I personally do not have issues with my boat having plywood and veneers vs solid woods in it.

If you would have asked about what is equal to a cal 40, to me the B 40.7 in todays models meets that, reasonable price, sails well, cruises well, along with if properly sailed sailed etc, certainly can win some races. The B36.7 falls into the same range if compared to boats of the later 60'es into 70's etc. This is why I mentioned those two boats. The Jeanneau SO 37 may fall more into an equal to a Cat 36 as far as what it does etc, but the race version, ie the taller mast, deeper keel more SA Sun Fast 37 has things going for it, down the road 20'ish yrs too as far as 2-3000 of them built, there will be plenty around to by, cruise etc for a decent amount. There is currently one for sale In LA that has been around the world, It is usually one of the higher #'d boats doing the ARC race cruise too from Europe.

The J 37/109/105 may also fall into the race cruiser down the road, with the 37 and 109 IMHO being the more sought after for fast cruiser's, as teh 105 is rather stark, and with 5.5' of head room, has some issues, so in reality, should not be looked at in that way either.

But a lot falls into the how you use said boat, what you look for etc. Generally speaking, I do not know of too many boat owners that just plain HATE there boats, from entry level Hunters, to high end mega $$$ boats. So in the end, they all fit a need with in a $$$ price point, design std etc.

marty