SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Setup: Blue Sea ACR?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Battery Setup: Blue Sea ACR?

Hi All,

Yes, it's Yet Another Battery Question

As I noted in Battery Switch: Field Disconnect Protection, our battery switch needs replacing. My current thinking is to go with the Blue Sea Systems Add A Battery system, which consists of their e-Series Battery Switch Dual Circuit Plus [tm]

and their 7610-SI-Series Automatic Charging Relay

This solution is affordable. The idea of not having to deal with the whole "1/BOTH/2" thing is attractive, yet one can still combine in an emergency. The only down-side to that solution I can see is if you wanted or needed to start off only the house bank, for example. But I suppose, in such a rare circumstance, you could always go down below and do some manual re-wiring.

The big question is this: We currently have two group 24 batteries. I'm thinking a group 24 battery is fine for starting, but we'll probably want at least a pair of group 27 or group 31 batteries when we someday get into cruising. Will the Blue Sea ACR properly deal with a such a setup?

Secondly: here and here, it looks like both btrafors and TheFrenchFrog, respectively, are suggesting battery combiners and isolators are an inferior solution. Does this apply to the Blue Sea ACR?

Other info: Boat has a Xantrex TrueCharge 10TB charger and, I assume, the original Motorola 35A alternator. I realize both of those are under-powered. One thing at a time .

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook