SailNet Community - View Single Post - Younger 27-33' cruiser for family of 4 + dog options?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008

hazmat17 is on a distinguished road
Younger 27-33' cruiser for family of 4 + dog options?

Well my wife is on board with buying our own boat someday - not exactly sure when "someday" is, but she did agree to start the process of joining the local yacht club. So I figure it is time to start narrowing the field and looking at suitable boats so that we can make a move if the right opportunity comes along.

Family Background
- I'm a lifelong sailor, no learning curve required. She knows how to sail, but needs to work on her self confidence. We have 2 young daughters aged 3 & 2 months. The 3 year old has a couple dozen days (including overnights) experience on the grandparent's Freedom 38 on & around Buzzard's Bay and so far loves it.

Location We intend to keep said boat in Newburyport, MA (tidal river inlet with strong current) for those not familiar with the north shore of Mass

Use Day/evening sails plus coastal cruising - primarily 2-3 day weekends (Rockport, Marblehead, Portsmouth, NH etc) with annual week long cruise - North to Maine or South to Cape & Islands

Mandatory Features Inboard Diesel, Separate Head, Cooking Stove, icebox/Cooler, transom swim platform - "sugar scoop" minimum of 1 private cabin (to put the girls to bed), <=10 years old - I want to enjoy the boat, not refit it.

Nice to have Features walk thru transom, 2 cabins

Price <=$50K preferred (more psychological than fiscal limit), could swing more. Resale value is important as there is a good chance of upgrading someday (as girls growt and wife's sense of adventure get bigger)

A quick search of yachtworld 27-33 feet <$75K yields the expected Hunters, Catalinas and Beneteaus. Are there any other less known brands I should consider?

Should I stretch my budget on the initial purchase price with the hopes of making it up on resale someday? Bumping the price up to $100K on yachtworld simply yields more recent examples of the above boats and more in the 33 foot size vs. 31 & under.

Lastly - any good resources on pricing used boats? I suspect there is a difference between asking price on yachtworld and actual selling price - is it 5%, 15%???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook