SailNet Community - View Single Post - Powerboat Cruising info needed
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Powerboat Cruising info needed

Gene, I sure don''t want to rain on your cruising dream - and having cruised some of the area you are considering, it''s a wonderful dream to have! But the way you position your question makes it sound to me like you think cruising along the Pacific Coast and "trying some Ocean going" are two different things, when in reality they are one and the same, big time.

I''m not experienced in power boating but we''ve gained a small appreciation for the challenges of powerboat cruising while along the East Coast and in the Caribbean. Power boat crews are quite challenged in dealing with any amount of heavy weather and, even on the protected ICW, must remain at anchor if a strong wind puts several feet of chop onto waters they must take on the beam. Power boats heading offshore do indeed rely on either active or passive roll restraint systems (and BTW passive systems to work underway at see, not just at anchor - I''m sure you''ve seen but perhaps need to reread Beebe''s book on Powerboat Cruising).

If starting with your circumstances and goals, I''d take a different approach: what can I trailer up/down the PacCoast that will permit me fair weather motorboat cruising in mostly protected waters once I arrive in interesting waters like Puget Sound, the San Juans, the SoCal coast (make the runs between protected harbors pronto, in good wx!) or San Diego Bay. This of course means a BIG truck and a boat intentionally designed to meet this objective (e.g. look at Ted Brewer''s line of pocket cruisers), neither of which are going to be cheap.

Great looking boat, BTW! Condition allowing, wouldn''t she be a nice boat to permanently locate on the Chesapeake or up in the San Juans, where it would take you many years to exhaust new cruising opportunities.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook