SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any reviews of the Cal 33-2?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008

saltybob2 is on a distinguished road
Cal 33-2

I own a Cal 34, big brother to the boat to the model you asked about. I can tell you that Cal's are legendary sailboats, built to last. The 34 sails fast enough to beat most boats her LOA today. My hull is solid glass, cored deck and solid cabin top. The hardware was some of the best available when the boat was built 31 years ago. I just replace 4 port lights with stainless steel and the hardest part was getting the old ones out! They never leaked but the hardware failed to a point they became inoperable. The deck to hull on ours is riveted and glassed over. Its' impossible to get leaks inside the hull from that joint. Resale is usually high, if the boat is well maintained. Most boats of this vintage will have Westerbeke diesels that need attention. Parts are scarce and we have decided to re-power even though there are only 2,800 hrs on ours. The Paragon V-Drive has failed and no parts are available.
The joinery on our boat is still beautiful and the layout is perfect for us. I'd take it anywhere in the world. As you can tell, we are very fond of our Cal. Yahoo has a very active Cal users group you might want to visit. Cheers, Dan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook