SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I want to fire a flare

5K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  rikhall 
#1 ·
Never did it before and thinking that learning in an emergency is not the best time.
Is their any protocol about how to do this without it looking like a real emergency?
Backyard is an option, the beach is an option but every place will attract some attention and on the boat is a better drill anyway.

A radio announcement maybe?
I've seen test firring recommend by several books but no one has addressed the practical problem of exactly the best procedure in a very urban environment.

#34 ·
Just in case anyone is worried I also just called my local police department and got their permission too. Same rules, "just call first and by the way no alcohol".
I figure we will try it on an open beach away from buildings first then maybe from a boat if it seems necessary.
And everyone thanks for the warnings

#35 ·
Just as an FYI for anyone north of the US border, i.e. Canada,

Flares can only be used in an emergency situation – any other time is prohibited by Annex IV #2 of the Collision Regulations. You can be fined if caught!

Thanks to Lori Mason at Mason's Chandlery The Store

#36 ·
Just as an FYI for anyone north of the US border, i.e. Canada,

Flares can only be used in an emergency situation - any other time is prohibited by Annex IV #2 of the Collision Regulations. You can be fined if caught!

Thanks to Lori Mason at Mason's Chandlery The Store
There must be some provision for practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.