SailNet Community - View Single Post - cruiser, live aboard, bluewater?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
cruiser, live aboard, bluewater?

stay dry.

No leaks.

Comfortable motion.

A sea berth that doesnt require me to roll or be thrown a few feet before I''m stopped.

A galley that works at sea (there are a bunch of configurations that can be made to work well, but alot of poor executions. Devil''s in the details. ;( )

The best labor saving devices in the world cant match the beauty and comfort of a simple boat, of thoughtfull design, properly built and maintained.

The one labor saving item I can highly recomend: No ones ever complained about their winches being too big or too powerfull.

How hard is it to reduce sail ?

Whats cooking/eating like underway?

If you need to come below sopping wet, can you avoid getting the rest of the cabin wet?

And of course, no one in the world is "comfortable" when items are breaking, so check everything and have a surveyer check it too.

oh yhea, and the obvious disclaimer: Cruising is best done after at least a few seasons of pretty constant local sailing to get the skills while you still have the support net, familiar waters, and place on land to go to when you need to take a second away from the water to prevent yourself from going mad.

Happy sailing

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook