SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marinco Power Cables
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
It seems unlikely to me that they are producing their cords to the rated specs. The cords should be able to handle 30 amps continuous withou overheating or burning up. THat does not seem to be the case in any of these instances.

I am not sure the exact series of events that causes the failure. It is possible that corrosion is building up on the terminals inside the plug. That in turn causes more heat. THe heat in turn causes more corrosion until it is a vicious cycle.

That is my rough guess at this time. However, it is getting hot enough that the enire receptables is melting down and failing. THe failures do not, in any instance, stop at the plug. They over heat to the point of causing the plastic structure of the receptacle to literrally burn up such that when you pull out the plug you will quite literally pull out the entire prongs of the receptable (often a hot wire... you should note).

Has this been others experiences too?

- CD

PS In 15 years of boating, I have never had this problem on previous cords - including when we were liveaboards in FL on CRUDDY power.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook