SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gaff rigg / throat halyard question
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Gaff rigg / throat halyard question

A buddy just got his wooden gaff rigged cutter into the water after many years in his barn. I never thought he'd get it wet...

We were rigging her up to head out and had a hard time getting the gaff high enough on the mast. There was about two feet of mast left between the upper block for the throat halyard and the goose neck of the gaff. We couldn't get it any higher because the halyard was running outside the gooseneck and the higher you try to take the spar, the more it would be pinched by the halyard.

I wish I had a picture.

Let me try to explain it another way: As the gaff approaches the upper block for the throat halyard, the halyard is pulled away from the mast by the gooseneck and makes it very difficult to raise any further.

My question (I have very little gaff rig experience) is, how should this halyard be run? Can it be run inside the gooseneck? Would that be a stupid way of chaffing and breaking the halyard? Can you run the halyard on the "front" of the goose neck, or would this put to much stress on the "retaining line" (sorry I don't know all the gaff terms) that closes the gooseneck? Or is this simply as high as it will go?

Thanks. And by the way, gaff rigs are pretty damn cool.