SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008

BluewaterBruce is on a distinguished road
If I can do it, you can do it.

I do it all or at least I'm willing to do it all, fiberglass, engine, plumbing, electric, paint - everything. I learn as I go and there are times I have to redo work but the more I do the more I learn and... I can by all the special tools I want with the savings. With the special tools the next task is easier. My wife is trying to figure out where we are going to put all the tools when we cruise.. But when we do cruise, I will know all systems aboard and be able to complete repairs. I did this with with a 25 year old Harley and rode it for a year and a half starting in 2000 - I took it completely apart and then rebuilt the engine, painted (4 times to get that RIGHT! - now that cost me a few bucks) and completly reassembled it to the point it almost looked new. After the the Mpls to Alaska to Key West to DC to L.A to Oregon to Mpls - ride, I moved to Pensacola; I stopped riding and started sailing. In all honesty I do not or did not know how to do any of this. But I never took a class on sailing, motorcycles or computers and I have been doing computers for 14 years now and I have my own business. If I go easy, think it through, stop when I am not sure and don't settle for less than doing it right - even if it means doing it again and costing me more money - I get er' done and I get er' done right. That's my half baked philosophy but it works well, for me. I sure do need more spare time though... there's always drawbacks in everything you do. I have been working on the Soverel for one year now, we bought it from a charity in South Florida - needed a little work like another engine and major (in my opinion) hull work. I do find having too many things apart at once increases the difficulty but.. sometimes that's just the way it goes. It was more fun in the begining but she is so beautiful I can not keep my hands off of her - the boats nice too!

Last edited by BluewaterBruce; 09-13-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook