SailNet Community - View Single Post - Deck Stepped Mast
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008

mman30 is on a distinguished road
Deck Stepped Mast

Hi all, Warning, a dumb ass move just took place, take pitty,

I have a 1973 Grampian 30 with a deck stepped mast, I keep the boat on the west river in Galesville, MD. To make a long story short, in the process of trying to paint the deck, and re-bed all deck plating, I was taking the upper and lower shrouds and attaching to the toe rail temporarily while removing the deck plate. Not thinking, I went ahead and did the three starboard side shrouds first (leaving a good three inches of slack, dumb) and went to the port side. As I was taking the port sides, I felt the boat start to heel on the port side, and the mast started to come over to port about 10 degrees, plus the heeling action. Needless to say, the mast did not fall, i had time to pull the boom over to the dock, use a pulley system with the boom to raise the mast, attach all shrouds, and all seems well, no nicks or scratches on the mast base. My question is, did i do any internal damage to the mast. There is a tensioning rod under the deck stepping base, but I am not familiar with the whole deck stepped mast set-up. There is no pin, attaching the mast to the base, but one never knows.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook