SailNet Community - View Single Post - Head - Hoses
Thread: Head - Hoses
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Tried heat, sat the hose end in boiling water for what I would have thought was a reasonable period of time , didn't seem to help cos it doesn't soften the reinforcing.
Hamish' suggestion re the 'barbed' fittings does make sense, cos it was the 'barb' that was giving me the most grief.
I think not all of the posters are talking about the same kind of hose --

There is an odor-free hose sold in the US made of a white plastic substance that has no reinforcing, but is still a bear to get on the fittings. But I believe it is compatible with barbed fittings.

I think wombat is referring to the hoses with spiral metal wire running through it. Probably not compatible with the barbed fittings.

I have redone the waste plumbing on a previous boat with the white stuff ($9/foot!) and it really does keep the odors out of the boat interior. I am in the middle of removing the hoses with spiral reinforcing from my recently purchased boat, and let me tell you, the odor was unbearable until I got rid of them.

IMHO the only odorfree hose over the long term is the white stuff -- expensive as it is -- it should last forever.